Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Live Your Best Life

Yesterday I was lucky enough to enjoy a great lunch with some great friends. While we were enjoying some fabulous fixin's from Ada Lou's, we discussed all the usual things - houses, decorating, shopping, relationships. We each had much to say on each topic, of course. One of my favorite points of the conversation came at the end. We talked about heirlooms we've inherited from dear family members, like my beloved Aunt Shirley dishes. We mentioned how we don't use them, how we save them for "special" occasions, even though we'd like to use them more. We all agreed that we would use our nice things. Why should we wait? Isn't every day special in some way or another? The Queen of England is not going to visit my house. Why should I save my dishes for her? If she does, will she know if I ate dinner off those plates the evening before? I don't think so. And why would she care anyway? One of my favorite Oprah moments came from a show a few years ago on this same topic. For me, the golden line was "Live your best life now." What's the point of having things if not to enjoy them? So last night, when I ate dinner, I drank my iced tea from a fancy glass. I think the Queen would approve.

1 comment: